Monday, August 20, 2012

Grandma's Grape-nut Bread

I have never had this bread but Mom and Aunt Diane say it is yummy.  I am super intreged by it becuase I enjoy grape-nuts, so I'm hoping this is a great bread, what a great way to start your morning. I like the idea of eating grape-nuts without having to let them soak for 30 minutes before eating them.  Make a double batch, freezes well. 

Ingredients:
1 cup sour milk (1 cup milk + 1 tbsp vinegar)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup grape-nuts
2 cups flour - sifted
1 egg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts

mix 1 cup sour milk, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 grape-nuts. them them stand overnight in the refrigerator

Sift flour

Add in all other dry ingredients

Mix in egg, vanilla and milk grape-nut mix

Pour into a loaf pan and bake at 350 for 45 min or until done, test with toothpick. 

Mine took about 55 mins to bake

Slice thin and serve with butter. 
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment