Saturday, September 22, 2012

Grandma's squash and onion casserole

This is one of my favorite side dishes.  Grandma always made this dish in the summer when the garden was going crazy and we were swimming in squash.  This particular recipe caused me a bit of trouble there are at least 2 different version floating around and sadly I couldn't call up Grandma to ask her how she made it.  I had to tweak it as I went along.  It called for you to bake it uncovered for 20 minutes but that didn't work.  Everything was still hard the only thing that happened was that the cheese was melted.  I decided to cover it and bake it for another 20 minutes then checked it and baked it another 10 minutes.  I'm now saying that you need to bake it covered for about 30-40 minutes.  The one good thing is that it does taste correct!


Ingredients:
6-8 crookneck squash (I am using 1 big one) - sliced med/thin
1 large onion - sliced thin
2 Tbsp butter
2 cups cheddar cheese - shredded
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (I didn't have cayenne so I used paprika)
1 sleeve of Ritz crackers - crushed

Chop up squash and onions
because I used a big squash I peeled mine otherwise you don't need to 

mix everything together put into a 9x13 pan
cut up the butter into little pats and top the casserole with them

Cover with tin foil and bake for 30-40 mins at 350

after baking I stirred it up after baking to make sure everything was mixed together

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment