Sunday, November 4, 2012

Grandma's Handmade Egg Noodles

These noodles are a family favorite.  My Grandma's kitchen table covered in these noodles drying is a fond memory. You always knew a good dinner was in the future when Grandma made noodles.  These noodle also hold a bit of sadness for me, Grandma and I were always going to make them together but sadly we never did.  I actually had plans to make them with her and video the process for this blog, but she passed away about a month before my trip home that we were going to make them.   These is her recipe but I wasn't sure how Grandma mixed up her noodles so I used the method my friend Sadie recently taught me. 

Ingredients:
2 cups of flour
2 eggs at room temperature
3 Tbsp cold water
1 tsp salt 
I cut this in half and made 2 different balls of dough, I thought this would be easier to roll out

pour 1 cup of flour on the counter mix in 1/2 tsp salt
make a well in the flour add 1 egg and 1 1/2 Tbsps of cold water

use your fingers to break up the egg and mix it

slowly add more and more flour to the egg mix until you form a ball of dough

knead dough for about 5 minutes until dough is smooth, 
after your done kneading it let it rest under bowl on the counter for 10 minutes or so

after dough has rested dust the counter with flour and get your rolling pin ready

Start rolling dough, if the dough is sticky at all add more flour

You want the dough to be pretty thin.
Cover dough with a towel and let it dry out for a few hours

Grandma always rolled her dough out on her cutting board, I just transferred it on to mine to cut it.

I used my pizza cutter to cut linguine sized noodles

 I cut long strips and then cut those in half

Handmade hand cut noodles

Lay the cut noodles out to dry, I covered mine with a towel

See Grandma's Chicken and Noodles to see them cooked


No comments:

Post a Comment